Choosing a charity to support for our conference is never a difficult choice because there are so many worthy causes throughout the UK. This year we decided on the Meningitis Research Foundation because just over ten years ago my predecessor, Frank Ciraolo, who was also my brother-in-law died of Septicaemia. He was 41 years old, husband to my sister Lucy and father to a seven year old son and 4 month old daughter. Whilst one never has the reasons as to why such things happen, the illness was not picked up soon enough. Whatever money is raised at our conference and over the next year will most definitely support the exceptional work the Foundation continues to do.
Susie Crolla CEO, The Guild of Letting & Management Ltd
The Meningitis Research Foundation
Our vision is a world free from meningitis and septicaemia
Millions of people have already been affected by meningitis and septicaemia in the UK, Ireland and around the world. They are devastating diseases which can kill and seriously disable in hours.
But the sad fact is meningitis and septicaemia kill around 1,000 people around the world every day. Every single day one person dies in the UK and Ireland alone. Babies and children under five and young people are especially vulnerable but anyone of any age can be affected.
Meningitis Research Foundation:
• Fundraises to support research into the prevention, detection and treatment of the diseases and to share knowledge gained by research so everyone can benefit
• Campaigns to ensure no one suffers from a vaccine preventable disease – taking our cause to the people who make decisions about health care
• Actively promotes knowledge by freely distributing leaflets and posters to the public and health professionals in print and online
• Works with experts and health professionals to develop and publicise guidelines to improve treatment
• Helps clinics in (parts of) Malawi to implement a triage system.
• Assists with a helpline operated by trained nurses and staff 365 days a year
• Supports those already affected – the individuals and families who have lost loved ones or have been left managing disability
• Hosts a major meningitis and septicaemia conference every two years with the world’s leading specialist scientists and medics attending
• Runs the UK and Ireland’s annual Meningitis Awareness Week in September
• • £17m invested over in 140 research projects since 1989
• • £1m spent on awareness and personal support to those affected every year
• • Over one million leaflets freely distributed to the public and health professionals every year
• • 17,500 members and supporters of the charity
• • 400 first-hand stories in our online Book of Experience, in words and on video – See more at: http://www.meningitis.org/about-us
Our head office is in Thornbury, Bristol, and we have teams in Belfast, Dublin, Edinburgh and Blantyre, Malawi. We are a national registered charity in England and Wales, and Scotland. Our registration number in England and Wales is 1091105. In Scotland it is SC037586. We have charity exemption in Ireland, reference CHY 12030. Our registered office is Midland Way, Thornbury, Bristol UK BS35 2BS Contact us. MeningitisWise is the name of our support services which include a Freefone* helpline, in-depth, tailored information for people affected, a befriender network, home visits and member events. Find out more